Denizens of Eldre'thalas [Night Elf Mages]

Proudwell

Denizens of Eldre'thalas [Night Elf Mages]

Post by Proudwell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 pm

What was once Eldre'thalas, now Dire Maul
Opening Story
The city of Eldre'thalas is the seat of many practitioners of magic dating back to the height of the Kaldorei Empire, serving Queen Azshara. Despite Eldre'thalas being ravaged, its denizens remained there ever since the War of the Ancients.

To accommodate for the loss of the Well of Eternity, Prince Tortheldrin bound the demon Immol'thar so that it could be drained of its power. However, as time went on, the demon's power waned. In order to preserve what precious energy it had left, Tortheldrin and his loyal Shen'dralar killed many of the people still living in Eldre'thalas.

How a player starts could be 1 of 2 ways (either one I have lots of quest ideas for). Idea #1 is that they are Highborne that are breaking away from the Shen'dralar after the atrocities were committed. Idea #2 is that they are surviving denizens of Eldre'thalas, both high and lowborn. Regardless, as practitioners of magic with a dangerous history, they would be the only group starting out as unfriendly with Darnassus (not hostile, but unfriendly). They would have to progress through their unique questline to earn the basic trust of the Kaldorei. Their starting questline would end with them sort of zippering shut their questline by going to Darkshore (or some place like that), and then they would quest like any normal night elf would in that area.

Summary
I think this would just be a nice way to give Night Elf mages an entry into the game while also offering an opportunity for a unique questline that makes use of Eldre'thalas and a unique backstory with the Shen'dralar that dwell there.

I've embarrassed myself enough so I guess reach out to me if there're any questions? Rᴇɴᴀɴ#9267 on Discord.

Gheor

Re: Denizens of Eldre'thalas [Night Elf Mages]

Post by Gheor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm

The Shen'drelar are corrupted and really the Kaeldorei would kill them on sight, I am sorry, it's really not something doable from my POV.

Thank you for the effort.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Proudwell

Post by Proudwell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm

Gheor wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm
The Shen'drelar are corrupted and really the Kaeldorei would kill them on sight, I am sorry, it's really not something doable from my POV.

Thank you for the effort.
I am not sure you read what I said at all.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 pm

I read it.
-

Toyawolf

Post by Toyawolf » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:54 pm

I like the idea of adding mages to the Nelfs. Its an interesting idea and even includes alternative ways of implementation. Its a shame you're being turned down so carelessly. Gotta hope they add mages one way or another I suppose.

Paw

Post by Paw » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Arcane magic comes from the well of eternity that led to having lost their immortality. Azshara was exciled. I will read your article because I'm very curious, I haven't yet but think Gheor is spot on. Also: High Elves.

Proudwell

Post by Proudwell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Paw wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:25 pm
Arcane magic comes from the well of eternity that led to having lost their immortality. Azshara was exciled. I will read your article because I'm very curious, I haven't yet but think Gheor is spot on. Also: High Elves.
High elves? Pardon?

Also, arcane magic exists without the well. It's a font of power that empowered magic users, but magic does exist without the well, even if it has to be limited in its usage relative to what it once was.

We see magic from every race that doesn't have a well of their own.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 am

Toyawolf wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:54 pm
I like the idea of adding mages to the Nelfs. Its an interesting idea and even includes alternative ways of implementation. Its a shame you're being turned down so carelessly. Gotta hope they add mages one way or another I suppose.
Might seem like that, but we had a grand old discussion on the Discord, we're not villains trying to antagonize people.
-