Goblins, racial trait: Kaboom!

Jombo

Goblins, racial trait: Kaboom!

Post by Jombo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:33 am

I have recently posted a lot of suggestions on the forums. This should not be taken as a wish to spam them, but rather an indication of my great passion and enthusiasm for Turtle Wow and it's content.

It appears that many players find goblins underwhelming presently because of their limited racials. Therefore I'd like to suggest the most iconic goblin spell that goes all the way back to WC2's Goblin Sappers: Kaboom!

To make it meaningful ingame I have a few ideas as to how this could work. None of them are set in stone and neither do I know how it will be balanced. First a note, however: Of course it should not be the suicide kaboom that we know.

Rather the idea could be something like setting an explosive charge that explodes after 2 or 3 seconds the effect of which would be:
-Knocking all nearby enemies (and the goblin itself) back a little bit and stunning them for 1 second. The goblin can avoid getting stunned itself if it runs out of the aoe in time.
OR
-Dealing dmg based on spellpower or Attack power depending on your class, also knocking back everyone a little.

The knockback is more for looks, even though it slightly breaks melee range. You would still be within casters aoe zone so that it doesn't become a detriment to teamplay.

Does this make any sense? Would a different design of Kaboom! be better or no Kaboom! at all?

Estelen

Re: Goblins, racial trait: Kaboom!

Post by Estelen » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 pm

This can be workshopped a bit. Kaboom has a Goblin engineering tinge to it - and the overall theme of Goblin engineers is the coin toss of "sometimes this works well... and sometimes it blows up in your face"

Maybe an "Undermine" ability where they can drop a landmine (like the mobs in Gnomer) which arms after a few seconds, but has a chance to shortfuse and blow up immediately too?

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:23 pm

Estelen, that sounds like a very good idea!

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Dropping a goblin landline sounds very cool and easy to implement. Would have to adjust dmg values as you lv, or simply make it a flash bomb that dazes enemies for a clean getaway.

A small chance of backfiring would be appropriate, bit of dmg or self induced stun would help balance out such utility the land mine provides. Just at a reasonably low %

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Dasajj wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 pm
Dropping a goblin landline sounds very cool and easy to implement. Would have to adjust dmg values as you lv, or simply make it a flash bomb that dazes enemies for a clean getaway.

A small chance of backfiring would be appropriate, bit of dmg or self induced stun would help balance out such utility the land mine provides. Just at a reasonably low %
aren't landmines already included in engineering?

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:28 pm

That’s true, which would give playing goblins a nice little bonus of even more bombs!

Velite

Post by Velite » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:09 pm

I think maybe goblins could get a damage bonus to explosive items
Resident Paladin Expert

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:31 am

Retail Goblins have a racial that deals damage, but it's literally never used in favor of the one of that gives mobility it shares a cooldown with. I simply don't understand why free mobility for classes that either don't have any (Warlocks) or in addition to ones that do (Rogues) is viewed as underwhelming when mobility is so hard to come by in vanilla.