In-game NPC that lets you switch your class

Allwynd01

In-game NPC that lets you switch your class

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Poll:
https://www.strawpoll.me/45501140

For example you want to be a Human Hunter, you talk to some NPC in some city like Booty Bay and tell them you don't want to be a Human Mage anymore, but a Human Hunter instead. So the NPC gives you a short set of kill and fetch quests related to the class you are switching to:

- Hunter is about killing deadly beats, collecting trophies or taming pets
- Mage is about killing aggressive elementals, collecting rare artifacts
- Warlock is about taming demons, killing demons, collecting demonic artifacts
- Warrior is about killing soldiers, bandits, collecting some weapons or whatever..

you get the idea...

EDIT: After some discussion, where it previously was "You can change your class every 30 days", now it's changed to "You can change your class ONLY ONCE PER CHARACTER.
Last edited by Allwynd01 on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gheor

Re: In-game NPC that lets you switch your class

Post by Gheor » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 pm

Not a good idea.

It takes effort to level a character to 60, this way you only have one character for every class which is a big no no.

This is simply just another "go classless" suggestion but approached differently.
Thank you for the suggestion but I am more than certain it will not see the light of dawn.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:33 pm

I don't really see the problem to be honest. I have played Vanilla (and WoW altogether) since 2006 and I'm used to the long and slow progression. At one point I was all about commitment and not being able to switch a class, but now from a lore or realism perspective, I don't see why this is bad.

It doesn't ruin gameplay for the one doing it or for anyone else. In fact I would go as far as to suggest the same thing, but where the NPC allows you to become a traitor to your faction and join the opposite one or something like that, but that is irrelevant in this discussion.

I'm saying if we are taking the lore of Warcraft up to the current events into consideration, what's stopping someone who's been a Mage for the majority of their life not to turn into a Warlock? Isn't that exactly how the lore describes Warlocks - Mages that have gone bad and started dabbling into things they shouldn't have.

My initial reason to suggest this was because I really want to be able to play as a Human Hunter and I was told that the UI during character creation limits things so each race can only have up to 6 classes, so the idea behind this suggestion was to add additional classes for each race in order to bypass this limitation.

I'd even rephrase the suggestion - one class change per character - you walk up to the NPC, change your class once and that's the end of it, that character can't change their class anymore.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:17 pm

Gameplay-wise, it allows people to level up on an easy class then switch to one that is hard to level, I don't think that's healthy for the game, besides the gameplay and looking just at the realism of implementing just a thing:

The Mage>Warlock conversion example is one of the very few cases where a class change is compatible with the lore.
I think others that make sense are Shaman>Warlock, Priest>Paladin, Warrior>Paladin, maybe Hunter>Rogue. But just because those specifically make sense, doesn't mean it makes sense to add it for every single possibility. Some are plain absurd like warrior>mage. Adding such a thing without a lot of restrictions to using it is too fun-servery.

Sandtusk

Post by Sandtusk » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 pm

Best case I can make for this type of server is once you hit max lv to have your toon revert back to lv1 of the new class.

I’d also add keeping faction reps after switching, maybe even profession skills, to make the journey easier. But then you’d have to factor in redoing quests and working that mechanic into the client.

Considering the workload of the devs so far, implementing something like this would take time regardless.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:09 am

Quoting mysrlf from the Undead Hunters thread:

Great idea with class change via a NPC!
But it would be better to place these NPCs right in the starting zone, and allow class change at level 1 only, to avoid complications like: char buys the initial class spells, armor..., then it's necessary to clean all the stuff from DB. Less headache is not to let the initial class evolve a lot.

Besides this opens the gates of hell, as if this succeeds, people will start suggest to implement custom classes (dark rangers, demon hunters...) and that's a helluva work I think (though they can be TP-only)

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 am

If you can only reclass at lvl 1, you might as well just create a new character.

If this suggestion is to make sense at all, I'd say you should be able to change class from lvl 1-10 (or 12?). This would mean you had gotten the basics of the game, you have your first talent point (i.e. you can see what talents are available for your class (especially useful to new players) and you are still in the first zone of the game.
A further note would be that lvl 7, 8, 9 and 10 actually take a little time to get to, which is why it would make more sense than lvl 1.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:42 am

I hate this idea, just play ascension if you want classless wow

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am

Yeah, I agree that it is really not necessary. I just remember in Guild Wars 1 it was nice how you got to try all the secondary class in the presearing/tutorial area :-)