Incinerate like spell for warlock and more...

Kazgrim

Re: Incinerate like spell for warlock and more...

Post by Kazgrim » Sun May 09, 2021 4:13 pm

It comes down to allegiance. A high elf warlock is no different than any other alliance warlock. What reasons a high elf didn't follow Illidan to Outland or stay behind in Quel'thalas is their own. There's nothing about a high elf that prevents them from becoming a warlock to aid the Alliance. Perhaps a high elf who chose to leave Quel'thalas because he was against siphoning demons wouldn't want to become a warlock. but other high elves might. There's plenty of reasons to have left Quel'thalas behind besides that.

Correct, some high elves were exiled because they disagreed with Rommath's teachings, but not all high elves constitute those exiles.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 pm

High elves are different from humans and gnomes, they aren't as tolerant with fel magic. It's the same as Draenei, they are qualified to be warlocks but no one would do it, everyone that would is a Man'ari/Eredar and not Draenei.

At this point, it all depends on the path Turtle WoW takes with the lore. It's definitely possible to justify High elves being more acceptant of fel magic, but that would just make them too similar to blood elves and take a lot from the conflict between the two, nullifying the development, struggle and identity of the high/blood elf race as a whole.

Ravielsk

Post by Ravielsk » Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm

To be perfectly honest if we were to follow lore on this one the only races that could be warlocks would be gnomes, trolls and maybe goblins/dwarfs. The events of WoW take place after 2 massive wars that were effectively caused by warlocks so its hard to imagine that any side that had major involvement in these conflicts would even allow the continuation of a practice that either led to their enslavement(orcs) or genocide(humans).
On the Alliance side of things its doubly difficult simply because their primary religions are staunchly opposed to anything that has to do with demons.

My point being that worrying about lore on this one issue is sort of pointless as there are many instance where WoW lore warps and circumnavigates certain critical plot points for the sake of player choice/convenience.

The real issue here is the Vanilla client not allowing for more than 6 classes per race. The only way I could see it being circumvented is via a in-game questline that would change your class after creating a character. I think its possible via GM commands and so scripting a quest like that might be possible. Even if it was not used for giving high elves the warlock class(which I am in favor of) it could be a viable way to include other classes(like the necromance or blade master) further down the line.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Fri May 14, 2021 2:07 am

Don't recall there being any limitation regarding 6 classes per race but maybe you know more about that than I do. Fun fact, the client can handle up to 255 classes.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Ravielsk

Post by Ravielsk » Fri May 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Honestly its been ages since I dabbled with "WoW modding" but I remember there being threads about how the Vanilla client has trouble with having more than 6 classes on the character creation screen. Its been a long time so I might be wrong but I think that was one of the reasons why for a while WoW modders focused so much on the Wotlk client as that one did away with most of those limitations.