Throwing weapons.

Nornvari

Throwing weapons.

Post by Nornvari » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm

Okay so, i want to say this would be a revival project, but honestly? you can't revive what is dead. So lets just go with raw necromancy here(totally not planning that thread sometime or anything).

So, Throwing weapons. What do they do? the occasional rogue proc when rooted or bored....and that's about it? Trolls have one of their racials focused on the use of throwing weapons, but finding throwing weapons with stats, let alone GOOD stats is almost impossible....and lets not forget, they don't have any functionality with the vast majority of ranged abilities.

Maybe its time to change that? Its not like it would have to be considered horde-centric(though the benefits for trolls finally getting good use of that racial is obvious ofc) since there are fighters in the alliance who specialize with such weapons in lore, like Huntresses and Gryphon Riders. If throwing weapons became useable with ranged abilities(I.E hunter shots etc) with maybe a range penalty if untalented(?) it would open up a little more variety.

What do yo guys think? Time to start rolling ninjas? insidious_turtle Or just for me to go back into my shell? maintenance_turtle

Augustfenix85

Re: Throwing weapons.

Post by Augustfenix85 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:03 pm

I like this, the biggest issue is also that you also end up throwing them all away haha. But good versions of thrown weapons could be either craft-able or farmable from maybe mobs that would have them
Duvall
Velissa
Calmore
Malcore
Splodax

Augustfenix85

Post by Augustfenix85 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 pm

P.S. The damage for them would have to be comparable to having a gun/bow plus ammo for hunters wanting to use them
Duvall
Velissa
Calmore
Malcore
Splodax

Nornvari

Post by Nornvari » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Aye, that is something to consider. Perhaps have a talent introduced that gives a certain chance for it to have a 'boomerang' effect, thus not consuming ammo. Likewise one could potentially spec for power throws vs single target, or weaker, rapid-fire bouncing attacks, so there's good PvE and PvP options, though that's of course going much deeper into this.

An alternative to the damage could simply be attack speed adjustments, I imagine you can throw more daggers in ten seconds than an archer could fire arrows.

Also, I did have the idea after I posted....maybe there could even be a class quest themed around it that unlocks the talents? if that's possible in a vanilla client ofc. It could just be an 'every ten levels' kinda thing that rewards a green or blue throwing wep, so folks will always have a relevant throwing wep while drops and such are being balanced out.

Jekka

Post by Jekka » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:17 pm

I’d also suggest expanding what can be thrown. Basic spear and hammer models can be converted to throwing weapons with adjusted weight/damage/speed.
“Nothing is lost. Nothing is forgotten. It was in the blood, the flesh. And now, it is forever.” - Prophet of Hakkar The Soulflayer

Derikom

Post by Derikom » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 pm

I don't think this idea needs talents specifically supporting it so much as just ranged weapons to be converted from ammo to a full-on ranged weapon archetype equivalent to bows, guns, and crossbows. This would allow you to put stats on them and decent damage without feeling like you're wasting the effort on something the character is literally going to be throwing away.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:53 pm

I like the suggestion and I think it'd be only fair to let players learn Throwing Barrage or something like that at level 10 for some additional silver … talents for throwing weapons would be an overpush though.

With that in mind, I believe we'll need much more than just daggers and axes to throw. Also, just 4 different types of daggers on vendors aren't nearly enough and additional stuff should be made by BS or engineers at least.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Sat May 01, 2021 9:06 pm

If I remember correctly, Prince (?) in Kara dropped a weapon (Axe?) that could be thrown and was not lost. So, I think other throwing weapons could be similar.

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Sat May 01, 2021 11:45 pm

Mantigora wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:06 pm
If I remember correctly, Prince (?) in Kara dropped a weapon (Axe?) that could be thrown and was not lost. So, I think other throwing weapons could be similar.
All throwing weapons had infinite use and actually had stats in TBC if I remember correctly.
Still making items...
Dragunovi - Level 60 Human Tankadin
Dragunir - Level 60 Dwarf Shadow Priest
Dragun - Level 17 Troll Hunter
Dragunis - Level 60 Human Warlock
Zephyris - Level 60 Elemental Shaman

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:53 pm
With that in mind, I believe we'll need much more than just daggers and axes to throw. Also, just 4 different types of daggers on vendors aren't nearly enough and additional stuff should be made by BS or engineers at least.
Well, I think Orcs should be able to throw human heads (or at least small boulders), Undead throw bones, Tauren through cowpies, Dwarves throw empty beer steins, Trolls throw boomerangs, Gnomes throw...idk.. boogers. turtle_in_love_head

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 am

Merikkinon wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm
Sinrek wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Well, I think Orcs should be able to throw human heads (or at least small boulders), Undead throw bones, Tauren through cowpies, Dwarves throw empty beer steins, Trolls throw boomerangs, Gnomes throw...idk.. boogers. turtle_in_love_head
Didn't really expect you to be that one person … Oh well.

I meant some new throwable weapons. Shurikens, kunai, darts and short spears.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

Obviously a joke.