Naming Conventions Rule

Derikom

Naming Conventions Rule

Post by Derikom » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:20 am

There has recently been a situation wherein a benign but far from lore-friendly name has been set for a rename by a GM and a discussion cropped up around how fair this ruling was as there is currently no written rule at all for what names are and are not appropriate for the server (although there is a guideline requesting names be lore-abiding).

Blatantly offensive or otherwise inappropriate names are something I think any reasonable person can agree as something that needs to be reported and changed but when more benign edge cases occur and there is no true rule to point to there will always be room for interpretation and disagreement that could otherwise be avoided while simultaneously creating a better and more visibly “fair” environment for both role players and those who merely wish to play the game as a game.

My exact suggestions for what names should be added to a new, clear rule about what kinds of names should be disallowed are as follows:
-Any name that violates the above mentioned topics listed under Chat Abuse
-Any name blatantly or obviously referencing real world celebrities or public figures
-Any name referencing real world or popular culture activities, places, groups, or things that is found to be jarringly discrepant with the Warcraft universe by the Turtle-WoW moderation team (examples: Wallstbets, Memeforceone, Ragingboner)

Sinrek

Re: Naming Conventions Rule

Post by Sinrek » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Makes sense to me.

I support this one wholeheartedly.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Fizzeek

Post by Fizzeek » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:46 pm

With the new population boost we're getting and the slew of awful names that come with it, I'd love to see some official guidelines on this as well.

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:03 pm

The curious opportunity here, in creating some type of official 'rule' or standard for names is that even having a standard (and having judicious, balanced enforcement) would turn away some of those who look at online gaming via anonymity as a way to shock and bother others (to soothe their own sense of being a shattered, aggravated soul). Not all, but some.

Goodwater

Post by Goodwater » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm

I would really like this kind of ruleset as well. I don't hate when people name themselves things like Princefanxx, but it does kind of distract from the immersion.

Jimmicz

Post by Jimmicz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 pm

that's like telling parents they can't name their kid John lol

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am

Johnny Onda Spott?

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 pm

I have seen quite a few names that I KNOW would have been addressed on other servers, not just because of lore, but offensive, bad taste (Penixwiggle) or just not name-like names like Sdasds etc. And this is not just since the influx of HC-players but for some longer time but I agree that it looks like it has gone up.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat May 01, 2021 8:38 pm

Indeed. Even <Still Alive> got some inappropriate names, unfortunately.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.