Druid quest line idea

Haladur

Druid quest line idea

Post by Haladur » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 am

I've Had this idea for a questline for druids where you give up some of your forms to make another more powerful.

Balake

Re: Druid quest line idea

Post by Balake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

And destroy a huge part of the druid identity as a jack of all trades that can shift to fill any role (To varying degrees of effectiveness... sometimes too weak in my opinion). Would this effect be permanent or can they learn the form again and lose the buff?

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Changing the spells themselves ... is an incredibly BAD idea ...

Creating quest line(s) for Druids that offer them better itemization that is KEYED to different forms ... in theory that would be a better option (assuming you can get over the hurdle of HOW to implement such a thing).

Closest thing I can think of would be to in effect leverage the Leatherworking Armor Patch system that's already functional. The way you could structure the entire thing is with a repeatable Weekly Quest (akin to how Children's Week works now on Turtle WoW). One of the rewards is an Armor Patch that offers a different effect than just mere +Armor (so same core item but with a different applied effect). You'd then be able to "tailor" the quest rewards to offer Armor Patches that are designed for different Forms that only "work" exclusively in a particular Form.
  • Caster Form
  • Bear Form/Dire Bear Form
  • Aquatic Form
  • Cat Form
  • Travel Form
  • Moonkin Form
Because there are 4 Armor slots that accept Armor Patches, you'd be able to mix 'n' match which weekly quest reward Armor Patches go on which items ... and you'd presumably want to run the quest more than 4 times (built in replay value) for alternate sets of gear.

The quest itself would simply be the enabler to access the Form specific Armor Patches that essentially offer alternative "enchantment bonus" slot yields.

Theoretically, such a thing ought to be possible to encode (easy would be a different question...) but deciding on the appropriate balancing for such repeatable rewards would be extremely finicky and tricky to settle upon. So ... possible ... but fraught with challenges.

Bayanni

Post by Bayanni » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 pm

I'd more just give them a totem from the quest that makes shifting cheaper. It's a slot that druids don't even get the chance to fill until the endgame and the options are incredibly sparse. Could also offer a choice of totems that give a buff to some ability or set of abilities in your desired form.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 pm

I like the idea of druid specific armor enchants Roxanneflowers posted, if it were available for 4 items (boots, pants, gloves, chest), then 2% critical chance with spells or 2% attack speed for each slot would be pretty great options, not a too big of a buff to their dps, and not too strong either to be exploited by other 2 roles.