Rogues with shields

Unangwata

Rogues with shields

Post by Unangwata » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:26 pm

In the early stage of development of WoW rogue had ability to use small shield, a buckler.

It would be nice alternative to damage for more surivability.

How about add some bucklers for rogues, or enhance the ability and make them use any shield ?

Sinrek

Re: Rogues with shields

Post by Sinrek » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 pm

No.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 pm
No.
No (again).

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Sinrek wrote:
No.
I thought server likes removed features..

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:22 am

Unangwata wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:01 pm
Sinrek wrote:
No.
Some features were removed for a reason. You've found one of'em.

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 am

I like the idea of bucklers for rogues, could even pair it with Combat's Riposte talent to activate on block. Not sure if single-wield rogue is actually viable, plus there's the issue of reclassifying all bucklers as separate items (I'm just guessing, not sure how client changes work). Which would also mean adding the "Buckler" id to other class talents that use shields.

From an RP perspective I'd ultimately be for it, but it'd be quite a bit of work for one class.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:22 am

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:22 am
Unangwata wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:01 pm
Sinrek wrote:
No.
Some features were removed for a reason. You've found one of'em.
All features were removed for a reason. It's hard to tell which was valid or not.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm

I like the idea but wonder how effective a rogue would be with shields. That being said, if they don't gain an unfair advantage, then I'd support!
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm
I like the idea but wonder how effective a rogue would be with shields. That being said, if they don't gain an unfair advantage, then I'd support!
The idea of a buckler is great when the rogue is being attacked = reactive abilities while solo leveling, but when the mob focus is on the tank its just sub par damage while single wielding. We could make active abilities like a "Buckler Bash" (lighter shield smash) for damage compensation, but its still work implementing and balancing.

Again I'm down for it but idk if its worth the turtle teams energy now.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:57 pm

It might make rogues too situationally tanky. Weapons are swappable in combat, a rogue with a shield and evasion will be able to become very durable for a short period of time, both in PvE and PvP. They can then just swap back to their weapon and go back to being a top dps class.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Adding shields to rogues is a few lines in server DB, so its not exactly hard to implement. It might just be too radical an idea though
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:08 pm
Adding shields to rogues is a few lines in server DB, so its not exactly hard to implement. It might just be too radical an idea though
With regular shield perhaps yeah, but buckler rogue is something that happens in fantasy genre.
I guess adding bucklers would take more work tho.

Fizzeek

Post by Fizzeek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 pm

My only concern here is losing a shield drop roll to a rogue :P

I'd be so mad! lol

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Bucklers should in no way be the same as shields, it’d require new items, I say no.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Deadcrow

Post by Deadcrow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:02 pm

A buckler is a small shield, mainly used for deflection rather than straight blocking. So It could be a cut down shield size wise and could give a bonus to parry chance.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:00 pm

or just raw armor and no chance to block

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm

As I said, it’d require new modeling and creating new items, stat wise, procs, effects, can’t have just 5 bucklers in the whole game.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm
As I said, it’d require new modeling and creating new items, stat wise, procs, effects, can’t have just 5 bucklers in the whole game.
Tell that to blizzard when they added relics kek

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm
Then forget it. Although 5 bucklers would be good enough lol.

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm

A return of bucklers for Rogue and Hunters is definitely something I'd love to see.
Fizzeek wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 pm
My only concern here is losing a shield drop roll to a rogue :P

I'd be so mad! lol
Bucklers (which Rogues, Hunters, and Shaman could use) were a separate thing from shields. Think leather armor and mail armor, except it's bucklers and shields.
Mephistopheles wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm
Bucklers should in no way be the same as shields, it’d require new items, I say no.
Well, yes, but also technically no. According to the patch notes, when Hunters, Rogues, and Shaman lost the ability to use bucklers, all existing bucklers were converted into shields (and Shaman were granted shields). What it would take is re-itemizing those items (there are 96 bucklers currently in the database), probably by dropping the armor and block values by a certain percent (50%?). You'd also need to create a few new items for the raids and dungeons that were itemized after the fact. It's work, but doable.

Here are the patch notes from when bucklers were removed: Patch 0.8
Bucklers have been removed from the game. Shamans now have the ability to use shields; Rogues and Hunters can no longer use shields. All existing bucklers have been turned into shields.
One potential work around would be to give Rogues and Hunters the ability to use shields (not bucklers but shield shields), but have them get like 50% less armor and/or block values from the shields (like how Bear Form increases your armor contribution, except the other way around, and only applying to the shield). Another method might be to let them use shields without giving them Block, like Unangwata said.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Yeah, perhaps the easiest way would be to just allow them shields without having ability to block. They wouldn't get much benefit from blocking anyways because most of that comes from str.
Although the view could be weird or interesting, bucklers were small.

Skalman

Post by Skalman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:42 am

The difference between a shield and a buckler is that a buckler is ALSO an offensive weapon, and that it protects less (in WoW should have less AL?) If correct with real world a bucker should be able to block (also).

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am

Even though it's an interesting idea, the class design and abilities (not even mentioning talents) here aren't suited for this.

Clearly, this won't be implemented. Like … ever.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am

Sinrek wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am
Even though it's an interesting idea, the class design and abilities (not even mentioning talents) here aren't suited for this.

what u mean by class design? No need any abilities or talents. It's just an offhand item, just need to be able to wear it.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Unangwata wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am
Sinrek wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am

what u mean by class design? No need any abilities or talents. It's just an offhand item, just need to be able to wear it.
Rogues designed to deal damage. Not fetching a useless buckler they'd never even have any use for. Off-hand dagger is much better than any buckler.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Obviously people think different

Balake

Post by Balake » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Unangwata wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm
Shields might be too bulky for rogues who are supposed to be agile and discrete, they rely on dodging and dirty tricks for their survivability (The best defensive tool is killing your enemy turtle_tongue ). This is represented gameplay-wise with their many cooldowns that fit this unconventionally, indirectly augmenting their survivability while keeping the squishy rogue fantasy intact (Evasion, vanish, kick, kidney shot, sprint), like trying to swat a very annoying fly. Slapping protective armor onto the fly just doesn't make sense. Not to mention it being a balancing nightmare.

Hunters could find some uses for shields I guess as they already have distracting shot and not much in terms of defensive cooldowns.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:28 pm

Balake wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm
Unangwata wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 pm
Shields might be too bulky for rogues who are supposed to be agile and discrete, they rely on dodging and dirty tricks for their survivability (The best defensive tool is killing your enemy turtle_tongue ). This is represented gameplay-wise with their many cooldowns that fit this unconventionally, indirectly augmenting their survivability while keeping the squishy rogue fantasy intact (Evasion, vanish, kick, kidney shot, sprint), like trying to swat a very annoying fly. Slapping protective armor onto the fly just doesn't make sense. Not to mention it being a balancing nightmare.

Hunters could find some uses for shields I guess as they already have distracting shot and not much in terms of defensive cooldowns.
Yeah, but rouges are versatile, use dirty trick and anything at their disposal. Wouldn't be surprised if one used a shield.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Unangwata wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:28 pm
Yeah, but rouges are versatile, use dirty trick and anything at their disposal. Wouldn't be surprised if one used a shield.
He'd be dead faster than that fly.

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 pm

As a sort of soft compromise, would it be possible to transmog an off-hand item into a buckler? By off-hand I mean those specific items like orbs, cups, bottles, and walking sticks. Rogues still couldn’t block, but you get the buckler and whatever stats the offhand had (don’t know if there’s any good ones with agil tbh).

I’m just not sure if they show in combat...

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 am

Jezza wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 pm
As a sort of soft compromise, would it be possible to transmog an off-hand item into a buckler? By off-hand I mean those specific items like orbs, cups, bottles, and walking sticks. Rogues still couldn’t block, but you get the buckler and whatever stats the offhand had (don’t know if there’s any good ones with agil tbh).

I’m just not sure if they show in combat...
This compromise doesn't make sense because whole issue is about the look of rogue with a shield. Using offhand item that looks like shield -yet it isn't, is worse than rogue actually using one.