Free respec for levels 10-59. No xp loss in dung.

Kazgrim

Re: Free respec for levels 10-59. No xp loss in dung.

Post by Kazgrim » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm

the current mechanic is a choice. you can do dungeons still, with or without hardcore mode. it does not prevent you from doing dungeons. just because you choose not to do dungeons does not mean the mechanic is preventing you to do dungeons. if we wanted to maximize dungeon population, we would make features that encouraged dungeon grouping, like double xp. i dont like the idea of removing a core feature of hardcore, which is losing xp. i would rather see a slight xp boost to dungeons as an incentive for hardcore players to reward the risk
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm
the current mechanic is a choice. you can do dungeons still, with or without hardcore mode. it does not prevent you from doing dungeons. just because you choose not to do dungeons does not mean the mechanic is preventing you to do dungeons. if we wanted to maximize dungeon population, we would make features that encouraged dungeon grouping, like double xp. i dont like the idea of removing a core feature of hardcore, which is losing xp. i would rather see a slight xp boost to dungeons as an incentive for hardcore players to reward the risk
I think we misunderstand here. I am not talking about choice. I am talking about what is good for the server. You want to encourage people to do dungeons, yet you defend mechanic that works exactly opposite.
XP penalty is good, except in dungeons.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:52 pm
if we wanted to maximize dungeon population
We'd slam a fist down on the balance scales to make dungeons the only way to earn XP.

The perceived lack of dungeon population is a function of the overall character population on the server at any given time. A very small minority of characters online at any specific time are ready/willing/able to run any specific dungeon. When the overall population of characters is small, the quantity of dungeon runners is small within any given time window.

Dungeon groups still form.
They just might not be forming up "on demand" whenever an individual player might like. The reason why that happens is not because of hardcore mode (or at least not exclusively because of hardcore mode). Different people have different motivations and reasons for playing the game the way that they do. Adapt and survive.

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:04 am

This boils down to retail vs vanilla mindset. Having to wait 30 minutes or having to utilize external LFG tools (discord, forums) or making friends on the server so you have a list of people you can whisper whenever you are building a group for a dungeon - these are all delayed gratification "vanilla" things.
Getting an instant "queue" with randoms at the click of a button (or at the posting of an ad in /world) is an instant gratification "retail" thing.
I personally am always going to veer HARD away from anything remotely resembling instant gratification. If I wanted to play retail I would go play retail.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:36 am

Current respect costs is 5 gold. Lowering or removal isn't an option.

Hardcore mode w/o XP loos wouldn't be any different from normal x1 if player is using Survival bonus. It's designed to ensure that people think twice prior doing. It's optional, we are not forcing anyone to play in HM :)