Expand available race/class options with expansion

Nachtritter

Expand available race/class options with expansion

Post by Nachtritter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 am

Taking a page from blizzard but remaining within lore, why not make shaman available to alliance and paladin to horde with the expansion - not necessarily having to add those classes to the new races per se. I just had a few thoughts on the matter, I'm sure others have considered the idea as well. Pardon me while I press 'submit' and brace myself for massive flaming turtle_tongue_head

For alliance consider the following:

Dwarf Shaman is well established within the lore: and the wildhammer dwarves are still members of the alliance. With the turbulent times, perhaps some the younger shamans from among the wildhammer dwarves are responding to this threat.

Night Elf Paladins are also within this era of lore, technically? There's a book or two about them, but I think they became official blizzard lore with legion so unsure how this plays here. - Delan Moonblaze, Nerus Moonblaze, Alynblaze - even Azshara's Eternal Champions. Unlike the Shendralar, the Night Elf Paladins were never ostracized by elven society, so their formation of a new order in response to the turbulent times is not unlikely. However, disregarding the legion lore - turbulent times are here and some night elves, who already draw priestly powers from Elune, could choose to join the Silver Hand or even form their own order.

For horde consider the following:

A note concerning the following: I think blizzard did it right when they made it one race in each faction gained shaman/paladin with tbc - a new order being formed, entirely from scratch, would have a limited membership when first forming as a result I believe that only one of these options should be used if either is used at all.

Tauren Paladin(and Priest): Consider briefly the lore blizzard used to justify Tauren Paladins in Cata(and yes, writing that left a bad taste in my mouth), because it does, in fact, fit within the lore, going over it briefly: Just as night elf priests and paladins draw their power directly from the light of Elune, their tauren counterparts draw theirs directly from the light of An'She.

Troll Paladin: The Zandalari Freethinkers establish, irrefutably, the place of Paladins within troll society. An ancient society, in contact once more with der bruddahs mon they might indeed train the first members of a new order of paladins from within the darkspear tribe....

Axoc

Re: Expand available race/class options with expansion

Post by Axoc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:07 pm

What are the names of the books about Night Elf Paladins?

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 am

I'd definitely like to see more race/class options, especially Dwarf Mages.

Warrians

Post by Warrians » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Nachtritter wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 am

Dwarf Shaman is well established within the lore: and the wildhammer dwarves are still members of the alliance. With the turbulent times, perhaps some the younger shamans from among the wildhammer dwarves are responding to this threat.

Erm i just read the wildhammer rep tooltip, and it said they are not part of the alliance, just let the alliance in, because "dwarven bros" and because "troll haters" .

Description
Though not a part of the Alliance, the dwarves of Aerie Peak have opened their doors to it and hold the Horde as enemies.

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 am

Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 am
I'd definitely like to see more race/class options, especially Dwarf Mages.
Dwarf Mages are good (and we have evidence that they were intended to be in but were cut by Blizzard at the last moment), but staff has said that they want to balance any new classes by adding a counterpart from the opposite faction. I think Human Hunter & Undead Hunter should both be in as well as Dwarf Mage, but I don't know of a second Horde class to add.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 am

Axoc wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 am
Undead Hunter
Beast follows Walking Carrion around because ... still hungry ...?

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:29 am

Roxanneflowers wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 am
Axoc wrote:
Undead Hunter
Beast follows Walking Carrion around because ... still hungry ...?
Same reason any predator animal follows humans (or in WoW, any race) around even though a predator animal can usually make short work of a human in 1v1 - the hunter has tamed the animal. Dark Rangers exist in vanilla lore (WC3: TFT & the TTRPG) and Nathanos is an in-game example of a Forsaken Hunter. Nathanos is also not an explicitly unique race/class combo like Sir Zeliek is.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:43 am

Axoc wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:29 am
Nathanos is also not an explicitly unique race/class combo like Sir Zeliek is.
More like the other way around. Completely.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:02 am

Axoc wrote:
Dwarf Mages are good (and we have evidence that they were intended to be in but were cut by Blizzard at the last moment), but staff has said that they want to balance any new classes by adding a counterpart from the opposite faction. I think Human Hunter & Undead Hunter should both be in as well as Dwarf Mage, but I don't know of a second Horde class to add.
I would love to see Human and Undead Hunters as well.

As for not having another Horde race/class combo to go with Dwarf Mage, I guess that's the big problem and why they were cut in the first place.

Nachtritter

Post by Nachtritter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:15 pm

After talking over with the friend who excitedly told me about nelf pallies I can sadly report that I don't know of any books that specifically deal with them. Some of the books set in the legion time frame may have them as supporting characters, the ones dealing with azshara definitely do(in the form of her eternal champions) as far as official blizzard lore goes, they didn't exist prior to legion. However, one can infer their existence in two parts:

1) Priestess of Elune random hero units that appeared in WC3 were, in terms of wow mechanics, basically a ranged ret paladin. A hunter/priest hybrid.
2) In the warcraft RPG, Alliance Players Guide pg 190 Delas Moonfang(official class: priestess of the moon) is described as a 'white warrior, mithril armor glowing brightly as she aids combatants and protects the wounded" - which sounds like a martial priest, which is precisely what a paladin IS.

I guess I misunderstood about the wildhammer, they're so closely aligned. Could still have bronzebeards trained in shamanism by them - an interest fueled by conflict with the horde races and their shamans.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 am

Dwarf mage, Orc mage. We see orc mages in blackrock spire.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:43 am
Axoc wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:29 am
Nathanos is also not an explicitly unique race/class combo like Sir Zeliek is.
More like the other way around. Completely.
Who are the other undead pallies? There are plenty of undead hunters in the form of Dark Rangers. While vanilla lore doesn't tell us exactly how many dark rangers there are, lore does tell us that 90% of the High Elf population was slain during their war with the Scourge. Lore *also* tells us that more than 15% of the surviving Quel'Thalas population are rangers. We *also* know that the Quel'Thalas military was disproportionately killed during the war when compared to the Q'T civilian population. I think it's unreasonable to think that there are not a large number of undead hunters (Dark Rangers) in the lore.
Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 am
Big brain post. Good call.
Last edited by Axoc on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 am

Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 am
Ooh, that would be good.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:38 pm

I personally would love to see night elf (highborne) mages if not dwarf mages.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29