Seed Extractor for Gardening

Suwuxiv

Seed Extractor for Gardening

Post by Suwuxiv » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:56 pm

I've spoken with a few people that said they enjoy the gardening feature Turtle WoW has to offer that really only dislike the heavy gold investment -- for shrooms in particular.

I used to garden a lot in other games and a quick solution to this that came to mind was a (Gnomish/Goblin) Seed Extractor.

Basically, it would be a device that would destroy a given garden crop in exchange for 1-5 packets of seeds. It could have a 2-4 hour cooldown to make it not too good, as well. The extractor could be something you lug around in your inventory or a machine somewhere on the map that people could use.

Such an addition opens the door to potentially secret/rare seeds later on, as well. satisfied_turtle

Balake

Re: Seed Extractor for Gardening

Post by Balake » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 pm

How do you stop griefers from using it to destroy other people's crops?

Suwuxiv

Post by Suwuxiv » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Well the idea is you wouldn't use it on planted crops just stuff that's already harvested. And if people are stealing the crops that others plant then that's an issue in itself. maintenance_turtle

Balake

Post by Balake » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Ah, I thought it destroys the thing on the ground no matter if it finished growing or not. It's an interesting idea but it might reduce the incentive to adventure and collect the seeds all around the world.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Balake wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 pm
Ah, I thought it destroys the thing on the ground no matter if it finished growing or not. It's an interesting idea but it might reduce the incentive to adventure and collect the seeds all around the world.
On a two to four hour cooldown like he suggested in the first post? No, it wouldn't.

Balake

Post by Balake » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm
Balake wrote:
On a two to four hour cooldown like he suggested in the first post? No, it wouldn't.
But what if someone gardens casually and really only needs to use it every 2 to 4 hours? It's a bit similar WoD's garrisons where you had mining and herbalism nodes ready at your instanced base every day. Some people would say you still have to go out because it's only some nodes every day, but for a lot of people a few nodes every day for no effort is all they need.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Balake wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm
Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm
Balake wrote:
But what if someone gardens casually and really only needs to use it every 2 to 4 hours? It's a bit similar WoD's garrisons where you had mining and herbalism nodes ready at your instanced base every day. Some people would say you still have to go out because it's only some nodes every day, but for a lot of people a few nodes every day for no effort is all they need.
If they only need 1 to 5 seeds every 4 hours, they're probably not doing a lot of exploring for seeds to begin with. They certainly aren't going out for seed every day.

Suwuxiv, here's some ideas you could do with your suggestion.
  • Give it a chance to fail. I actually am throwing this out there but also advising against it. Players don't like tradeskill things to fail, that's why WoW, unlike some of its MMO predecessors (like EQ), doesn't have a chance to fail when making an item: you either make it if you can or you can't make it period.
  • Make it take a little money from you on use like the portable wormhole does.
  • Increase the cooldown. 6 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours? 48 hours? Would quell the concern of it getting abused.
  • If it's an inventory item, it takes an Engineer to make it (but not to use). Materials for it could be made by other professions (blacksmithing for an Inlaid Mithril Cylinder, maybe some kind of cured leather, maybe enchanted leather, maybe enchanted thorium). I like the idea of needing to work together with others to make it, and it definitely goes along Blizzard's vision of tradeskills and just the game needing teamwork in general. Engineers also don't have a lot of items they can make for others, so one more might be nice.
  • If it's an object in the world, it could move its location every once and a while. Maybe it's a part of Sneed's Feed and Seed traveling caravan. He appears in "random" locations, so you have to go out and find him, city slickers. There's your exploration. Sneed could also sell refreshing water for gardening, maybe spores, maybe some other seeds or items (maybe in limited supply). Heck, maybe he could even replace the gardening trainers that just sit outside cities.
  • Using it takes Survival skill, maybe 125 (or 150?). I like giving the Survival skill that much more use. Gardening is 100 iirc, so higher than that.
Just some thoughts. Feel free to use some, all, or none.

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm
Increase the cooldown. 6 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours? 48 hours? Would quell the concern of it getting abused.
Never cared for 24 hour cooldowns (or multiples of 24 hours) since they will inevitably tend to "travel" over time later and later until you miss a cycle. 20 hours is better than 24, in that respect. Likewise, 10 hours would be better than 12, as far as that goes, if heading in the direction of a cooldown.

Balake

Post by Balake » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:03 pm

I agree with it being an object in the world and now an item you keep in your inventory. Does not have to appear at random locations either, just have it in some location that's not right next to a flight path.