Locked Chests in Capital Cities

Kazgrim

Locked Chests in Capital Cities

Post by Kazgrim » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Adding locked chests for rogues (or people with opening keys) in capital cities would be a neat easter egg for players to find as they stumble upon shops and homes.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Balake

Re: Locked Chests in Capital Cities

Post by Balake » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm

If there's anything valuable inside, people will remember their spawn points and constantly open them for gold.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:28 pm

Just like regular chests! :D
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Vote: no.

Axoc

Post by Axoc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:21 pm

Yes if balanced. Chests on a short spawn timer always in the same spot and giving out level 60 loot would be a hard no, for example.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 am

Never suggested level 60 loot! It could be a few silvers, some grey vendor trash, etc.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am

I think it's quite easy to quickly dismiss this idea (or really, any idea). After all, in general, you can't open chests in areas that are friendly to you. Example: Alliance characters can't open chests that are in Ambermill because they're friendly with the Dalaran NPCs in that area. This is to curb it being abused by players to just farm the chests with no risk. Even footlockers in game generally have some hostile NPCs around them to give them some risk.

That said, cities already have crates of food and drink all over them. You can already no risk farm them if that's your prerogative. Hell, they aren't even locked. When you consider you're proposing to just put grey vendor trash in them and not epics, it's actually an idea that could work. I'd make them footlockers instead of treasure chests just so you don't disappoint people opening them.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 am

Rogue trainers should give level appropriate hints on where players can improve their skill with lockpicking. Please do not try to invent a bicycle again.

Rogues, get your lazy assets into the wilds and humanoid occupied areas.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Well, personally I like this idea but only if this wouldn't be a way to get rich but only some small flavor, so for example:

- only low value items/junk (poision ingredients for example), very low % to something really valuable (like a book that allows to learn better cooking or FA, because why not?)
- random spawns, like every capital has 10 spots but only 1-2 chests at the same momeny, if you loot one, another one spawns after some time but in different spot
- some % to spawn non-locket chest, that can be looted by any class

Again: nothing that will allow farming etc!
dead_turtle_head

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Dodge wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm
Well, personally I like this idea but only if this wouldn't be a way to get rich but only some small flavor, so for example:

- only low value items/junk (poision ingredients for example), very low % to something really valuable (like a book that allows to learn better cooking or FA, because why not?)
- random spawns, like every capital has 10 spots but only 1-2 chests at the same momeny, if you loot one, another one spawns after some time but in different spot
- some % to spawn non-locket chest, that can be looted by any class

Again: nothing that will allow farming etc!
This is perfect!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm

The problem is, after the first week of this existing it will no longer become an easter egg that some explorer will find, just some chest that people get when they are in the capital city and they have time. People waiting around for mail or pvp queue will just go around all the possible spawn points for a chance at something. It's no risk and no engagement. Maybe if there were special puzzle lockboxes around the world with special rewards that required full use of the rogue kit like distract, vanish, perfect stealthing through mobs and accounting for their patrol paths and timings. It could be a quest started by the lockbox to prevent repetitive farming. Just something neat for every class, and this could be the rogue thing. It could be tied to Ravenholdt manor, piecing together pieces of a lost document or something, maybe even the epic weapon quest for rogues, similar to what hunters and priests have. Just like hunters have to kill 4 demons with kiting, rogues have to get 4 pieces of a document through for example dueling an extremely tough mob, pick pocketing key leaders of a hostile faction (like the Scarlet Crusade or the Twilight's Hammer cultists), and as earlier, very hard to reach puzzle-like lockboxes...

I wrote all of this and realized I started rambling way to out of topic... sorry maintenance_turtle

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:31 pm

It’s something for new players to discover. The loot may not even be worth farming.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

viewforum.php?f=29

Roxanneflowers

Post by Roxanneflowers » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:31 pm
It’s something for new players to discover. The loot may not even be worth farming.
Actually it's NOT something (new) for Players to discover. It's a farm begging to be exploited ... all reward and no risk.

Balake

Post by Balake » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Also, it would be much more interesting as a new player to discover something while *exploring* the world, not in the capital city.

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 pm

In favor of this idea: The respawn timer on such chests could be as long as 24h, with only a couple chests in each city at random spawnpoints at the same time - same mechanic rare mobs use.

As for items contained, it might be some RP stuff, that's not particularly valuable otherwise, with bind on pickup effect. I also liked the WOTLK idea of grey trash items like [New Age Painting] and [Dolphin Statue] that would sell to vendors for ridiculous amount of gold. For vanilla, it could be one of those rarely-found rings, like [Mood Ring] and [Cubic Zircona Ring]

Skill required to lockpick them might be dependant on the loot inside, or just fixed at an average-high, so that low levels couldn't farm them for headstart cash.

P.S.: Another idea to balance out lack of fighting: put the chests on a hard-reach location that would require jumping between objects or something.