Expand Hunter Pet Families

Darkraggs

Expand Hunter Pet Families

Post by Darkraggs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 pm

scared_turtle Please excuse any weird formatting, I’m writing this on mobile since I don’t have access to my laptop atm. More content to be added.

Spiders: They should have a nature dot like the scorpions since almost every wild spider in-game either has a nature dot or spits venom at you that deals nature damage. The Turtle Team (I call them TT for short) might be able to alter or add a few lines of code to give the spider pet family access to the Scorpid Poison skill and then make an addon to change the icon and name to something less specific to Scorpids. Like this icon.

Serpents: These could be just custom made serpents that are given the Spider family tag and are flagged as tameable, especially if they give the Spider family access to Scorpid Poison. Alternatively they might be able to convert the internals for the tamable serpent family from the TBC Prepatch or later versions of WoW.

In later versions of WoW, Spider pets have a Root skill that covers the target in webs, so if the TT were feeling particularly ambitious they could add in the Serpent family, give Spiders and Serpents access to Scorpid Poison or another Nature DoT of similar power, and add in the Spider family’s Root skill. If they made those changes and wanted to make it so already existing spiders that lack web related abilities would not be able to web enemies could be reassigned to be part of the Serpent family. Although this particular option would be a lot of work for content that probably only a handful of hunters would utilize.

Gryphons, Hypogrifs, and Wind Riders: There was someone in the discord who mentioned wanting to be able to tame gryphons and wind riders. I think that’s perfectly doable, but they would have to be custom-made mobs with names that make it clear that those particular ones are more submissive or impressionable than others of their kind. Maybe you have to do a custom questline to earn the creature’s trust that will end with a Neutral tamable version of it appearing.

In my opinion, the best candidate for the Gryphons and Hypogrifs would be Carrion Birds since they have Bite, Claw, Dive, and are a little tankier than bats and owls (the two offensive flying families).

With the current limited access to a nature DoT skill on pets, Scorpids have a good skill kit for Wind Riders considering they also get Claw, but Scorpids are a defensive pet family, which doesn’t match the aesthetic of a flying lion with a stinger.

I don’t think that Gryphons, Hypogrifs, or Wind Riders need their own tamed pet family, that would most likely be too much work for too little payoff.

New Boars: Bucks, rams, stags, zhevras, and other horned herbivores bigger than gazelles and smaller than kodo would fit best with the Boar family during combat because of their exclusive access to the Charge pet skill. However, the Boar family is able to eat at least two things that herbivores should not eat. Ideally the TT would make a copy of the Boar family renamed as the Stag family, and make them only able to eat fruit and fungus.
New Crocolisks: Basilisks and Dimetradon. For the Basilisks I imagine there could be a custom quest chain involving a mad goblin cross-breeding basilisks and crocs, calling them Basilcrocs, to make them more compliant so he can sell them as exotic bioweapons to the highest bidder (despite these hybrids not inheriting the magic abilities of the basilisks and not selling any yet).

New Gorillas: Kodo and Stegadons

Zhevras: These could be made tamable as part of the Boar family for the Charge skill, which would make sense for most creatures that utilize horns or antlers as a weapon, however the Boar diet does not fit Zhevras, and it could be argued that they would fit better as Plainstriders since they have similar stats to the Boar family, a more appropriate diet, also has Bite and Dash without Claw, but at the expense of losing Charge.
Last edited by Darkraggs on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dawnbreaker - Dwarf Priest Engineer
Jadizmo - Forsaken Troll Priest Tailor/Enchanter
Succubus - Horde “Warlock”
#GiveGoblinsFindTreasure

Roxanneflowers

Re: Expand Hunter Pet Families

Post by Roxanneflowers » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:59 am

Darkraggs wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 pm
Spiders: They should have a nature dot like the scorpions since almost every wild spider in-game either has a nature dot or spits venom at you that deals nature damage. The Turtle Team (I call them TT for short) might be able to alter or add a few lines of code to give the spider pet family access to the Scorpid Poison skill and then make an addon to change the icon and name to something less specific to Scorpids.
Just change the name of the Pet Talent/Skill/Spell.
Before: Scorpid Poison
After: Poison
DONE.
Darkraggs wrote:
Gryphons and Wind Riders: There was someone in the discord who mentioned wanting to be able to tame griffons and wind riders. I think that’s perfectly doable, but they would have to be custom-made mobs with names that make it clear that those particular ones are more submissive or impressionable than others of their kind. Maybe you have to do a custom questline to earn the creature’s trust that will end with a Neutral tamable version of it appearing.

The best candidate for the Gryphons would be Carrion Birds since they have Bite, Claw, Dive, and are a little tankier than owls and bats (the two offensive flying families).
There are wild Gryphons that spawn in Hillsbarad near the path into The Hinterlands close to The Wall. All that would need to be done is to make one or more of those spawns a tameable Beast.
Darkraggs wrote:
New Boars: New Rams with the Beast type, and arguably Zhevras which could match the Zhevra mount.
There are missing ranks for Gore (ranks 5 and 6, which is Level 32-47 ... so ... Razorfen Kraul and Razorfen Downs maybe?), so that would be the best opportunity to add the missing ranks of the Gore skill.

Could even have a new Zhevra Elite(ish) type that wanders The Barrens ... although it would be more appropriate to just simply make the tameable Zhevra a variant of the Tallstrider (optional to limit their diet to Fruit and Fungus, leaving out Cheese, since they ought to be herbivores).

Darkraggs

Re: Expand Hunter Pet Families

Post by Darkraggs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm

smiling_turtle_head Thank you for your input.
Admittedly your solution for the Scorpid Poison name change sounds simpler, although the icon is specifically a scorpid tail. It wouldn’t bother me if the icon stayed the same, but there might be a few people that scratch their heads at it. I know there’s an addon that replaces the icon for Holy Strike, so I’m assuming that they would have to do the same thing for the Poison skill
There are wild Gryphons that spawn in Hillsbarad near the path into The Hinterlands close to The Wall. All that would need to be done is to make one or more of those spawns a tameable Beast.
That would be a simple solution to make Gryphons tamable, but they are exotic beasts that are noted in the lore for their high intelligence, and they are exotic enough that I feel like it should be a little more challenging than finding any wild gryphon, putting down a freeze trap, and then casting Tame Beast. It would definitely be more work to make a questline or custom gryphons though. In the section you quoted from my post you included the bit about my suggestion for a pet family for them to be assigned to Carrion Birds, I said that because I doubt the Gryphon family has assigned stat scales and Pet Skills internally, so in that regard it would probably be easier to reclassify any gryphons made tamable as Carrion Birds.

As for Zhevras, I could see them as being argued for being Boar because of their horn, although they are definitely more docile than boars, and most likely don’t eat meat due to them being unicorn zebras. The Plainstrider family could work, and so could the Gorilla family since I think some of them might have an AOE stomp.

I’ll make some edits to clarify a couple of points.
Dawnbreaker - Dwarf Priest Engineer
Jadizmo - Forsaken Troll Priest Tailor/Enchanter
Succubus - Horde “Warlock”
#GiveGoblinsFindTreasure