Karazhan

Parcival

Karazhan

Post by Parcival » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Nestled in the forbidding peaks of the Deadwind Pass, the lonely tower of Karazhan stands as a haunting reminder of glories past. Once the home and sanctum of the Guardian Medivh, Karazhan and its surrounding hamlet have fallen to complete ruin. Now the dead tower is home to the restless dead - and worse. Rumors abound that Medivh's private laboratories and libraries hold the key to mysterious portals to the Twisting Nether. Those who have returned from the dark tower told of demonic horrors that roamed the upper floors. Though none now know who truly controls the tower, it is clear that some evil force has taken up residence in Medivh's stead.
In early march 2005, Karazhan was promoted as an instanced dungeon: Development on Karazhan begun as early as 2001 by John Staats and progressed through much of the vanilla game, up until its release in The Burning Crusade. Yet its development and release in TBC was partly to blame to inexperience of building a raid. John Staats never played a raid before and was uncertain of Karazhan's required size. Not to err on the wrong side, Staats built larger then required, thus forcing the development of Karazhan to continue through the vanilla game, removing and simplifying the large instance, which Staats had created.

My suggestion is in mindset with our beloved server - to restore that which was cut. I propose, for after all is done and Naxxramas is farmed harder than the Stockades for wool, we bring back a beloved instance, which should have had its place in the vanilla game. Deadwind Pass stands deserted - let us bring some life into those zones, left undeveloped.

So please, dear community - throw your vote. Do you wish to see Karazhan in its intended timeline or not.

Dragunovi

Re: Karazhan

Post by Dragunovi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:41 pm

This is more easier Said than done tbh.
No profile picture because it's so limited smh wary_turtle_head

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:59 pm

IIRC kara will be included in the future expansion pack.

(you didn't hear it from me though, hiding_smth_turtle )
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Parcival

Post by Parcival » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Indeed it is easier said than done - that is why I'm putting this out here as food for thought. If nothing else, Deadwind Pass itself could do with some polish. We've got great custom quests out there already in the starting zones, while some of the more late game areas remain empty.

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:55 pm

I don't even know if Karahan has a map file for it to work but yeah deadwind pass could use some quests

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Dark riders quests!
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Parcival

Post by Parcival » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am

Kazgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Dark riders quests!
Indeed, we think alike. Even if we can't get Karazhan into the game, we can make Deadwind a place you don't just rush through, but one you thoroughly enjoy.

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 pm

I think, if you were going to write up some quests for Deadwind Pass, the best place to start would be having the players investigate what happened to Ariden, sort of like the Shady Rest Inn quests from Dustwallow Swamp only with an actual conclusion. Maybe the player finds his camp has been picked apart by ogre looters and vultures, so the player has to bop around killing a bunch of both to gather the clues to figure out the mystery like a detective. Maybe the player would even have to talk to some ghosts like a paranormal detective. You could follow the lore around Ariden that gets established in later expansions or come up with your own thing if it fits vanilla lore. Well, that's my suggestion.

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 am

I was doing a little more thinking, and while Karazhan's map might not be in the game files, what is in game is The Crypts beneath Karazhan. That area is massive and completely unused. It's so big, I'm pretty sure at one point they considered using it as either an outside dungeon or instanced dungeon. I mean, why put such a huge area in the game for nothing? It even has unique little areas in it like the Upside-Down Sinners room. I think that could make for really cool custom content right there.

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:56 pm

If It can be made into an instance file then it does fit really good.

Balake

Post by Balake » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Dragunovi wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:56 pm
If It can be made into an instance file then it does fit really good.
There is nothing stopping it from being an open-world raid. Mobs inside the crypts respawn every wednesday reset making it essentially once-per-week raid lockout.

Dragunovi

Post by Dragunovi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 pm

A pretty oddball idea, not that bad.

Parcival

Post by Parcival » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Any bit of attention to Deadwind Pass will help make it more polished and actually transform this transitional zone into something worth stopping at. I will try to get some RP events going about the zone, see what people think of the zone and maybe get some ideas to add to the 'dead' zone.