Ironman Challenge (IMC)

Anderyu

Ironman Challenge (IMC)

Post by Anderyu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 am

Ironman Challenge! What is it? How best to implement it? Hopefully we can all debate that idea here, and one day talk strategy in a guild while struggling in the whiles by ourselves.

I have found this to be the original IMC. Whether true or not, this appears to be a good starting point for the discussion.
Do Not Die! - the most important rule of the challenge.
No gear higher than White quality.
No enchantments on your gear
No Talents allowed.
Skills you have from your class (like Warlock Healthstones or Mage Stones) ARE ALLOWED since these are available to your class without having to pick a talent.
No Primary Professions allowed.
No Secondary Professions allowed.
No ELIXIRS, POTIONS or FLASKS used.
Cannot join a party, raid or group with the intent of getting help to further yourself in the challenge.
You CANNOT send yourself gold, bags, gear, whatever to assist in the challenge.
Using mage portals and warlock summons is not allowed.
No dungeons, raids, or battlegrounds allowed.
No food buffs or other external buffs are allowed.
Class abilities, racials and personal buffs (eg. Might if you’re a Paladin, healthstones for warlocks, mage portals for mages) are okay!
I find a lot of this too be a bit extreme for myself, but welcome others opinions and feedback. I think that a fun, fair, and challenging way to play would be to alter the way the experience is when done completely alone, and with the risk on perma-death. Excluding things such as professions and talents takes away from the choices to customize ones character to try and solo the game on a single life.

I therefore propose the following for the TurtleWoW IMC:
No groups, dungeons, raids, or battlegrounds allowed.
No trading with other players, Auction House or mail (received) allowed.
Using mage portals, portable wormhole generator, or warlock summons is not allowed.
Glyph of Exhaustion required.
Only gear obtained via drops, quests, crafting, and vendors is allowed.
All professions are allowed, but pick wisely.
You must click off all buffs from any outside source (world buffs, players, npcs)
Some classes and spec's may make the journey easier, such as those that have a pet, or those that have healing, but all classes and spec's should be allowed as the purpose should be more to enjoy the game in a unique way for yourself. Talent choices will vary differently without the need to care about party symbiosis. Your professions will generally be between something to guarantee you with decent gear progression, or a steadier supply of potions and elixirs.
Last edited by Anderyu on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Anderyu

Re: Ironman Challenge (IMC)

Post by Anderyu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:48 am

Also vote that we call the guild either:
<Ironman Challenge> or
<Mankrik's Wife>
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Yutilk

Post by Yutilk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:13 am

What's the best class to play as?
Shaman Raid Tank, Priest Tank, Rogue Tank, Support Warrior, etc... I'm Livestreaming!

Anderyu

Post by Anderyu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:52 am

My thoughts are that paladin would be the safest class to play as. The ability to wear all gear you find in addition to healing spells, Lay on Hands, bubbles, free mount at 40.

Thinking Shaman is pretty close behind being the next class with heals, up to mail, lots of totem options and shocks to keep you safe, ghostwolf is a good mini-mount at 20, 5 hearths an hour to get you out of tight spots, Far-Sight to scout around as needed.

Hunter and Warlock would be fairly safe, assuming you do not Life-Tap yourself back to level one as a warlock. The pets would help as a sacrificial buffer and is the closest thing you can get to being in a party.

I don't have a lot of experience with druids, but with all of their utility in their shapeshifter forms, healing, I would imagine that druid is a very viable middle ground choice in terms of safety and challenge.

A priest seems to be in the middle ground of difficulty and safety with bubbles, heals, fort buff, fear and depending on race extra damage, fear ward, self heal. Limited to cloth though, and sourcing a wand might make OOM an issue. This is probably where I will start, Dwarf Priest spec'd Disc/Shadow.

I don't have a lot of experience with mages either, but if you went frost AoE it would be high risk, but maybe fastest leveling possible assuming you don't have to start over at level one too many times. They seem to run out of mana every pull watching my wife play one.

Warrior and Rogue might be the two harder classes as they are melee with limited ranged options and no healing outside of taking Alchemy. The true challenge mode maybe?
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:59 am

Easiest here would be the warlock, I believe. Hardest one, I guess warrior, since it's the most gear dependant and most heal lacking class.

I like the sound of the challenge, however, I'd allow party up to no more than two in total. The reasoning here is the number of Elite mobs and quests every class would have trouble completing. Also, most of the times it's hard to rely on people and entrust them your life rather than doing everything by yourself. Oh yes, I'd include the requirement for the Hardcore Glyph as well.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Jam

Post by Jam » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:39 am

Anderyu wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 am
No trading with other players, Auction House or mail (Sent or received) allowed.
Only gear obtained via drops, quests or crafting are allowed.
I propose the following for the community's consideration:
Using mage portals, portable wormhole generator, or warlock summons is not allowed.
Glyph of Hardcore required.
Only gear obtained via drops, quests, crafting, or vendors is allowed.
You must click off buffs from any outside source (world events, players, npcs.)
Very few changes to Anderyu's suggestion. What do you guys think?
"The reason most people do not recognize an opportunity when they meet it is because it usually goes around wearing overalls and looking like Hard Work."

Realnicolbolas

Post by Realnicolbolas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:08 am

Jam wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:39 am
Anderyu wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 am
No trading with other players, Auction House or mail (Sent or received) allowed.
Only gear obtained via drops, quests or crafting are allowed.
I propose the following for the community's consideration:
Glyph of Hardcore required.
Only gear obtained via drops, quests, crafting, or vendors is allowed.
You must click off buffs from any outside source (world events, players, npcs.)
Very few changes to Anderyu's suggestion. What do you guys think?
I am thinking those are all great ideas. i would certainly attempt this challenge

Anderyu

Post by Anderyu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 am

Jam, I really appreciate your additions. That helped clean up some specific server details I did not think of like the wormhole generator, and other things I missed (The clicking off of external buffs. Also, the ability to send mail out does seem fair for those rare drops that you might want to send else where before you lose them permanently. I am not sure that adding the glyph of hardcore is needed here however. The rewards I feel would need to be discarded, the death penalty is moot, and there will already be a lot of grinding as there are many quests I think I will just avoid altogether due to the risk just not being worthwhile.

Sinrek, I have tried to think of a way that a different challenge could be done, but the main focus of the IMC is to not die, and be alone. Trying to find a way to incorporate grouping at all would be against the spirit of the challenge, and be a nightmare on the coding side of things if any such glyph were to be implemented, vs just preventing grouping. As someone who doesn't play much outside of Priest/Shaman, I am interested in your reasoning on the warlock being the easiest.

Something that would be cool would be if we could get a custom tabard with the expansion I keep hearing about, that is only obtainable when IMC is chosen at level 1 (Like the glyph of hardmode) that you can wear to signify you are on the challenge that is taken away on character death, ending the challenge for that guy, if auto-delete can't be implemented, or if players would like an opportunity to quit the challenge but keep the character. Would be the easiest way to 'prove' your successes.
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Jam

Post by Jam » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Anderyu wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 am
--- I am not sure that adding the glyph of hardcore is needed here however. The rewards I feel would need to be discarded, the death penalty is moot, and there will already be a lot of grinding as there are many quests I think I will just avoid altogether due to the risk just not being worthwhile. ---
I mostly just wanted the glyphs for the super award you get when you hit 60. The turtle tokens call to me. 8)
"The reason most people do not recognize an opportunity when they meet it is because it usually goes around wearing overalls and looking like Hard Work."

Anderyu

Post by Anderyu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:28 pm

You know, that does bring to light the following question:
What happens when/if you hit 60?
Deepblue/Deeperblue

Balake

Post by Balake » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:34 pm

Anderyu wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:28 pm
You know, that does bring to light the following question: