New Profession: Woodworking/Survival

Heroclastus

New Profession: Woodworking/Survival

Post by Heroclastus » Thu May 07, 2020 6:48 am

Hello,

first of all I'd like to commend Turtle Wow for the nice implementation of the Survival Skill.
As I'm using the Dark(er) Nights Mod too and like the idea of torches quite a lot, I had ideas of how to
expand on it. As many of you may have noticed the game in it's current state lacks a profession to craft bows
or staves (spears too) which is a shame. Please note again, those are only ideas :)
Some ideas:

• Make Survival a primary profession and expand on its function to create items OR introduce Woodworking and keep Survival as is, making it primary could also make tent builders more valuable and sought after
  • For bow making one could make it pair well with the Skinning profession: leather (fat) can be boiled to tallow at a campfire, hides can be made into sinews which are needed to make bows (along with wood [perhaps add more different wood types])
  • Tallow can be made to candles, which can be used as a head enchant to provide light (this would require making the Dark Nights Mod somewhat mandatory to make it useful) or as an ingredient to making your own helmet (think Kobold Mining Helmet with candle on top), also tier the candles to provide more light (light leather->crumbly tallow->makeshift candle--> low light source, rugged leather->artisan tallow-->bright candle--> bright light source etc.). The Torches atm are nice, BUT are rather limited as they have to be held off-hand where they arent an option for a lot of classes. Also make the tallow required in other recipes, e.g. for a bow.
  • Making Dark(er) Night mandatory could enable interesting new things e.g. make Cats Eye Elixir enabling night vision (Druid Cat Form could have it too), deciding whether to use a candle in BG at night or not as a rogue (see better, but also BE SEEN better, you normally like the shadows :)), perhaps adding a light source spell here and there for certain classes
  • Staves could require Wood and Leather and/or Enchanting Items and/or Items that can be made out of Fishes (think of the Alchemy Oils which require Fishing)
  • This would help make Skinning (and Fishing) more attractive as it only really fuels one producing profession atm and further increase immersion (you have to play differently at night, really need the light)
  • The suggested items could also be integrated into making the existing items: wood + tallow(+cloth) = Torch, Leather + Tallow + Sinews = Tents etc.
  • Arrow making should be added too, engineers can make bullets, why can't anyone make arrows? Suggested items: wood and the various feathers found on bird-like mobs
I would love to hear your opinions on this!
Last edited by Heroclastus on Sat May 16, 2020 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Justice

Re: New Profession: Woodworking/Survival

Post by Justice » Thu May 07, 2020 12:22 pm

I think is a great idea! happy_turtle_head

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Thu May 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Please remember about 2 very important limitations vanilla have right now; backpack space and stackable limit.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 pm

I don't see the appeal. Bows could already be covered by leatherworking, and staves for enchanting. No need for these to be new professions
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Fri May 08, 2020 12:53 am

Bows and Crossbows should be scattered for engineering and blacksmithing tbh. Staves and spears for blacksmithing completely. Enchanters should be able to craft wands with different stats and bonuses imo.
Support the Turtle smiling_turtle vote for the server HERE.

Heroclastus

Post by Heroclastus » Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am

Hello,

Thanks as always for the feedback.
@kazgrim, maybe it's a typo but perhaps my formulation in the OP was a bit misleading. My idea was to make ONE profession, which combines the already implemented features of survival with new suggestions, e. G. Stave, bow making.

@sinrek, I am aware of bag space issues, I constantly have full bags on my chats too :). That's why I tried to keep the newly added items required to a minimum, most of them are already in game: leather, hides are there, wood should already be in players backpacks, new are tallow and sinew, that's it, where I'd suggest no recipes to require both hide AND sinew, so u can just make hide->sinew to clear some space.

Also I think the existing professions are quite overburdened already especially engineering, adding even more possibilities would make them even more bloated, although I guess this would be a lot easier to program/implement - there's probably a reason the implemented survival skill doesn't have the trade skill window. If it's impossible to implement that, I say yay to scattering recipes to bs/engi/enchanting.

I'll add arrow making to the OP.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 pm

I like the idea of making arrows out of wood and feathers. Might be the case one day.

However, right now, without a proper trade skill UI for Survival in the default client, we shouldn't extend it too much, it'll simply look confusing and weird.

Choogroovy

Post by Choogroovy » Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm

I agree making a new profession would be pretty difficult for the developers. Not impossible, but difficult. And as people mentioned above, adding new recipes for the existing professions would cover many of these things I think we all agree would be great for the game. Bow, Crossbows and arrows made by engineers, Staves made by enchanters, and all three could have some mats made by or farmed by the other professions (Blacksmith, leather working, mining, etc).