first of all I'd like to commend Turtle Wow for the nice implementation of the Survival Skill.
As I'm using the Dark(er) Nights Mod too and like the idea of torches quite a lot, I had ideas of how to
expand on it. As many of you may have noticed the game in it's current state lacks a profession to craft bows
or staves (spears too) which is a shame. Please note again, those are only ideas :)
- Make Survival a primary profession and expand on its function to create items OR introduce Woodworking and keep Survival as is, making it primary could also make tent builders more valuable and sought after
- For bow making one could make it pair well with the Skinning profession: leather (fat) can be boiled to tallow at a campfire, hides can be made into sinews which are needed to make bows (along with wood [perhaps add more different wood types])
- Tallow can be made to candles, which can be used as a head enchant to provide light (this would require making the Dark Nights Mod somewhat mandatory to make it useful) or as an ingredient to making your own helmet (think Kobold Mining Helmet with candle on top), also tier the candles to provide more light (light leather->crumbly tallow->makeshift candle--> low light source, rugged leather->artisan tallow-->bright candle--> bright light source etc.). The Torches atm are nice, BUT are rather limited as they have to be held off-hand where they arent an option for a lot of classes. Also make the tallow required in other recipes, e.g. for a bow.
- Making Dark(er) Night mandatory could enable interesting new things e.g. make Cats Eye Elixir enabling night vision (Druid Cat Form could have it too), deciding whether to use a candle in BG at night or not as a rogue (see better, but also BE SEEN better, you normally like the shadows :)), perhaps adding a light source spell here and there for certain classes
- Staves could require Wood and Leather and/or Enchanting Items and/or Items that can be made out of Fishes (think of the Alchemy Oils which require Fishing)
- This would help make Skinning (and Fishing) more attractive as it only really fuels one producing profession atm and further increase immersion (you have to play differently at night, really need the light)
- The suggested items could also be integrated into making the existing items: wood + tallow(+cloth) = Torch, Leather + Tallow + Sinews = Tents etc.
- Arrow making should be added too, engineers can make bullets, why can't anyone make arrows? Suggested items: wood and the various feathers found on bird-like mobs