Populated Cities

User avatar
Noemad
Posts: 6

Populated Cities

Post by Noemad » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm

Ahoy there Turtlers,

This was a little idea I was mulling over the last few days as I was going in and out of Stormwind. One thing that RPGs and MMO's, in general, have always gotten a bit wrong is cities, they just never seem full enough... I know in the past that's been down to hardware/software limitations at the time, but I think it's very doable nowadays.

The vanilla versions of the cities are really quite bare, and considering this server has a bit of an RP aspect to it, I thought a nice little upgrade to the cities (possibly just starting with SW/Org) would be great to increase the experience in the cities.

Having more citizens of the city and outlying settlements occupying the territory would look great, and I imagine - or rather hope it wouldn't put too much stress on the server.

In Stormwind for example, at the gates, there could be farmers who are coming into the city, beggars, pilgrims, all sorts. You could fill the trade district with a few extra street vendors, and maybe NPCs who look like they're buying/doing what people do. The cathedral district could be filled up a bit with priests/monks and paladins in training, attending service, praying, etc.

The old town could be filled with thugs and assassins for hire (not really for hire......but maybe?), gangs, an illegal gambling den, a house of pleasurable desires *cough*...ahem...

The canals could have fishermen, and people on the little dinghy boats.

There could be more noblemen strutting their stuff about the city, looking down upon us simple adventurers.

Anyways, you get the picture.

Populated cities.

User avatar
Sinrek
Posts: 986

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Sinrek » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm

I would like to see your example for each city, please.
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

User avatar
Kanto123
Posts: 160

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 pm

Can we have nightclubs pls; I'm looking to get lit on a Friday night in Orgrimmar

User avatar
Kanto123
Posts: 160

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:45 pm

Noemad wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm
Ahoy there Turtlers,

This was a little idea I was mulling over the last few days as I was going in and out of Stormwind. One thing that RPGs and MMO's, in general, have always gotten a bit wrong is cities, they just never seem full enough... I know in the past that's been down to hardware/software limitations at the time, but I think it's very doable nowadays.

The vanilla versions of the cities are really quite bare, and considering this server has a bit of an RP aspect to it, I thought a nice little upgrade to the cities (possibly just starting with SW/Org) would be great to increase the experience in the cities.

Having more citizens of the city and outlying settlements occupying the territory would look great, and I imagine - or rather hope it wouldn't put too much stress on the server.

In Stormwind for example, at the gates, there could be farmers who are coming into the city, beggars, pilgrims, all sorts. You could fill the trade district with a few extra street vendors, and maybe NPCs who look like they're buying/doing what people do. The cathedral district could be filled up a bit with priests/monks and paladins in training, attending service, praying, etc.

The old town could be filled with thugs and assassins for hire (not really for hire......but maybe?), gangs, an illegal gambling den, a house of pleasurable desires *cough*...ahem...

The canals could have fishermen, and people on the little dinghy boats.

There could be more noblemen strutting their stuff about the city, looking down upon us simple adventurers.

Anyways, you get the picture.

Populated cities.
Basically, the turtle devs could replicate what is done in the Grand Theft Auto games by having npcs going about regular, daily activities within and around the cities

User avatar
Raukodor
Posts: 326

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Raukodor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:07 pm

For me is a +1000 always feel the world a little bit empty and the bif cities without life

If is a way to implement npcs who moves and do emotes or talk will be really awesome
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

User avatar
Merikkinon
Posts: 413

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Merikkinon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 am

I've always enjoyed how there are some scripted NPC activities in the cities (and some other places), where NPCs gather and go through dialogue (consider the Draenei demon class that walks around in the Erodar). Would be great if there was more of that, a bit spaced out as to time, and there were variants to the dialogue or script (not sure if that's possible, but it's a nice though).

User avatar
Reploidrocsa
Posts: 55

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Reploidrocsa » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:12 am

Oh yeah, i would love some random npc doing some random paths, just like skyrim. Even if they don't interact with anything and just go to point A to point B and despawn

Dutchie75
Posts: 2

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Dutchie75 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 pm

+1
Good suggestion

User avatar
5kaeledas5
Posts: 11

Re: Populated Cities

Post by 5kaeledas5 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 am

I would truly love this feature to be implemented

User avatar
Niralthas
Posts: 14
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Niralthas » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Get to ta NPC Creataaahh!!!
Bio: viewtopic.php?p=15278#p15278
Feel free to approach me for any RP (or raffle) related questions!

User avatar
Noemad
Posts: 6

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Noemad » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Sinrek wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm
I would like to see your example for each city, please.
Sorry it took me a while to respond here, been busy.

Here's what I think it could possibly look like! I've done it just for Stormwind and Orgrimmar for now, if the idea actually comes to fruition and devs like it, it would be nice to test it out in just SW and Org first I think, then move onto the other cities.

Stormwind

Valley of Heroes - The main thoroughfare into the city, you could have all sorts of citizens lingering in the valley or entering the city. Farmers, pilgrims, homeless and vagabonds, fishermen down by the water, adventurer/militia npc's, more guards present (You'd think for a capital city there would be more guards on duty)

Trade District - There could be more street merchants outside of the main stores, npc's browsing the stalls and also more citizens looking at the wares inside the stores as well, Noble's strolling the streets, beggars, children. The trade district should be a hive of activity where all sorts of citizens and adventurers clash.

Old Town - We could up the shenanigans and seediness of Old Town. There could be a couple of different gangs unique to Stormwind/Elwynn area (And to Turtle-WoW) with members dotted around old town and in its alleys. There could be mercenaries, the inns could be more populated with gang members, thieves, assassins, mercs and traveling salesmen, there could also be some form of brothel-esque culture in one of the old-town inns, with "escort" style npc's, dancers and revelers who seek to escape the prying eyes of the other districts, drinking and partying the night away.

Mage Quarter - Wizened scholars and novice witches and wizards could roam the streets, looking for knowledge. The mage tower and its surroundings should be abuzz with students of the magical arts. There could also be young child mages being instructed by older mages. (Like hogwarts, yes, shut up)

Dwarven District - You could see a more diverse crowd of dwarves here. There could be groups from different clans, as well as a dispatch of the mountaineers from Ironforge.

Cathedral District - We could see priests and pilgrims in training, or in service/prayer. Groups of priests walking the grounds, same for paladins.


Orgrimmar

Entrance - There could be crews of peons at work on the city, or heading inside with supplies from the surrounding encampents. Similar to Stormwind's entrance, there could also be roaming groups of adventurers, pilgrims seeking refuge, different clan groups heading into the city.

Valley of Strength - We could see an increased guard presence I the valley of strength, as it is the entrance to orgrimmar. There could also be more street peddlers, citizens of the city looking for and trading goods, warband/warparty members, traveling salesmen, beggars of all sorts.

The Drag - This has always felt like it could be a sort of dwelling area, so an increased presence of horde family-like npc's (and children) would be interesting and something we rarely see. If there's an inn here, it could also have reveler like npc's.

The Cleft of Shadow - This could have an increased presence of those who walk in the shadows! More thieves, assassins, warlocks, and all-around unscrupulous sorts. We could see some of those shadow hunters from the trolls, cartel members and bosses from the goblins, mercenary bands from the taurens etc.

The Valley of Honor - We should see Orgrimmar's finest military might being trained here, orcs of young and old proving themselves, or making the pledge to the horde. There could also be some fisherman by the body of water there. There should also be gladiators here as well. Maybe even rich Orgrimmar citizens who own the gladiator's and peons.

The Valley of Wisdom
- Here we could see a more diverse elite guard of Orgrimmar, more military officers of the horde and warriors of the horde coming to pledge themselves to the Warchief. There could also be pilgrims seeking knowledge from the warchief or begging outside Gromash hold.

The Valley of Spirits/Talon Gate - We could see an increased troll presence here, as well as magic users of all sorts, mages, warlocks, priests, druids all training, learning and sharing knowledge by the pools and huts. I also think it would be neat to do what they did in Cataclysm and turn the latter part of this valley that leads to the talon gate (The back entrance of org) into the goblin slums/dwellings.

-

Anyways, if this is still interesting and goes further, I'd love to help out more!

User avatar
Kyzen
Posts: 50

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Kyzen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm

+1 good idea

User avatar
Sinrek
Posts: 986

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Sinrek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:38 am

No love for Ironforge or Undercity?
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

User avatar
Pistol
Posts: 121

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Pistol » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:25 am

I actually have some ideas for flavor NPCs in Undercity, Orgrimmar and a few other places but I'll be posting those in a separate thread I think as my suggestion isn't quite of the same nature.
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Guildmaster of <Hand of Wrath>
And numerous other characters
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2269

User avatar
Littlebirdd
Posts: 22

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Littlebirdd » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 am

+10000 that would be so great

User avatar
Noemad
Posts: 6

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Noemad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:18 am

Aw thanks for all the positive support y'all! Let's hope our Turtle Overlords approve.

In addition, I think it's important that these npc's aren't just static or beholden to one place. In addition to what I've listed above, there should just be regular citizens who have pathing through the city and move about. This would add to the "alive" feeling of an actual city......within the limitations of the WoW client and server load, of course.

User avatar
Merikkinon
Posts: 413

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Merikkinon » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:11 am

ORG - I'd love to see a place where some off-duty Orc guards gather and chat, even with ridiculous dialogue. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

SW - you know how there are the female mages that walk around talking about leylines and all that mumbojumbo? Would be great to see a few off-duty officers or soldiers walking around (some in partial gear) having some conversations (about leylines? hahaha)

IF - again, off-duty soldiers getting tanked, or talking jack with one another... maybe having some type of goofy dwarf macho games.

Darn - too granola to come up with anything for...

TB - def here have some strength games...

UC - I am unsure, but def the place needs to be made a lot creepier... i would love it if it were a bit dangerous, but that's me... but definitely some creepy stuff




Again, it would be great if they were NOT like present 100% of the time. That helps with appreciating them when they do occur.

User avatar
Allwynd01
Posts: 207

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Allwynd01 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Merikkinon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:11 am
ORG - I'd love to see a place where some off-duty Orc guards gather and chat, even with ridiculous dialogue. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

SW - you know how there are the female mages that walk around talking about leylines and all that mumbojumbo? Would be great to see a few off-duty officers or soldiers walking around (some in partial gear) having some conversations (about leylines? hahaha)

IF - again, off-duty soldiers getting tanked, or talking jack with one another... maybe having some type of goofy dwarf macho games.

Darn - too granola to come up with anything for...

TB - def here have some strength games...

UC - I am unsure, but def the place needs to be made a lot creepier... i would love it if it were a bit dangerous, but that's me... but definitely some creepy stuff




Again, it would be great if they were NOT like present 100% of the time. That helps with appreciating them when they do occur.
It can start simpler at first - without a chat, because that's some more effort. It can just be more NPCs without any other purpose than walking around. Some market stands with an NPC behind and NPCs walking around, stopping, looking, having a chat animation with the seller and moving on.

Pretty much all settlements in the game, big or small look like they have precisely the amount of NPCs that only have some functionality useful to the player.

Like Goldshire for example - it's just an inn and a smithy... and that's supposed to be a village. I know there is one building by the lake and Turtle WoW has added a few more, but there can be a few houses scattered around with some pointless NPCs just walking about, this can be applied to all settlements.

Especially Booty Bay should see some real expansions in all departments, I think it's the go-to neutral hub in the game, but it can definitely use some expanding - 1-2 more levels, more NPCs, class trainers, arena/battleground NPCs, maybe some dungeon like Booty Bay Sewers for levels 35-45 and a lot of new quests.

User avatar
Kanto123
Posts: 160

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Kanto123 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Allwynd01 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm
Merikkinon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:11 am
ORG - I'd love to see a place where some off-duty Orc guards gather and chat, even with ridiculous dialogue. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

SW - you know how there are the female mages that walk around talking about leylines and all that mumbojumbo? Would be great to see a few off-duty officers or soldiers walking around (some in partial gear) having some conversations (about leylines? hahaha)

IF - again, off-duty soldiers getting tanked, or talking jack with one another... maybe having some type of goofy dwarf macho games.

Darn - too granola to come up with anything for...

TB - def here have some strength games...

UC - I am unsure, but def the place needs to be made a lot creepier... i would love it if it were a bit dangerous, but that's me... but definitely some creepy stuff




Again, it would be great if they were NOT like present 100% of the time. That helps with appreciating them when they do occur.
It can start simpler at first - without a chat, because that's some more effort. It can just be more NPCs without any other purpose than walking around. Some market stands with an NPC behind and NPCs walking around, stopping, looking, having a chat animation with the seller and moving on.

Pretty much all settlements in the game, big or small look like they have precisely the amount of NPCs that only have some functionality useful to the player.

Like Goldshire for example - it's just an inn and a smithy... and that's supposed to be a village. I know there is one building by the lake and Turtle WoW has added a few more, but there can be a few houses scattered around with some pointless NPCs just walking about, this can be applied to all settlements.

Especially Booty Bay should see some real expansions in all departments, I think it's the go-to neutral hub in the game, but it can definitely use some expanding - 1-2 more levels, more NPCs, class trainers, arena/battleground NPCs, maybe some dungeon like Booty Bay Sewers for levels 35-45 and a lot of new quests.
Booty Bay dungeon sounds great

User avatar
Noemad
Posts: 6

Re: Populated Cities

Post by Noemad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 pm

Booty Bay should definitely get some love. I'd imagine it much like the famed town of Tortuga! There could be a few ships that are actually permanently anchored in the bay, and we could see pirate npc's from different pirate groups in the town, at the inn etc. Notable pirate groups are Blacksail Crew, Blackwater Raiders, Bloodsail Buccanneers, Dread Crew, Southsea Freebooters, Northsea Freebooters.

Post Reply